The Boston Symphony was performing Beethoven’s Ninth. In the piece, there’s a long passage about 20 minutes during which the double basses have nothing to do. Rather than sit around the whole time looking stupid, some bassists decided to sneak offstage and go to the tavern next door for a quick one. After slamming several beers in quick succession (as double bassists are prone to do), one of them looked at his watch. “Hey! We need to get back!”
"No need to panic," said a fellow bassist.
"I thought we might need some extra time, so I tied the last few pages of the conductor’s score together with string. It’ll take him a few minutes to get it untangled."
A few moments later they staggered back to the concert hall and took their places in the orchestra. About this time, a member of the audience noticed the conductor seemed a bit edgy and said as much to her companion.
"Well, of course," said her companion. "Don’t you see?
It’s the bottom of the Ninth, the score is tied, and the bassists are loaded.”
[A new Sailor Moon dub] has been a legend among voice actors for the last four or five years, studios have almost got it so many times … I got a random email in my inbox, and they said “There’s an anime show you might want to audition for” - they didn’t tell us what the title of the show was, they sent all the sites for the characters, and so I opened them up, and I’m like, “this must be a joke” … “Maybe it’s a spoof,” because it just said ‘Sailor Jupiter’, ‘Sailor Moon’, ‘Sailor Venus’ … because obviously they wouldn’t be so chill about sending this out. This is SAILOR MOON. So I ignored it, for like 2 days. … Maybe I thought, like, if it’s still in my inbox in 2 days, then it’s real, and I will record it. If not, I don’t want to get my hopes up.
And they said you can’t tell anyone … I wasn’t supposed to tell family I was auditioning, none of the voice actors could tell each other they were auditioning for it. … I showed up to record another project and Stephanie Sheh [new actress for Sailor Moon] was there, and I said “Oh my gosh, I’m gonna be super late to get to this… other… session… thing,” and she goes “Me too… um… where you going?” … “Yeah, uh, to… um… I mean, I really can’t talk about it…” and she’s like, “Oh my God, is it the thing, that we’re not supposed to know that we’re in and nobody can know??” and I was like [gasps] “You know about the THING! Oh my Gosh! Are you in the thing too??” She’s like, “I am! Are you- are you one of the things, in the thing?” I was like “YESSS. Thank God, I’m glad we understand each other.” … The first rule of Sailor Moon is don’t talk about the fact that you’re in Sailor Moon. They’ll kill you.
… Getting to walk around to other conventions and have people say, “Yeah, they’re re-dubbing Sailor Moon,” and I had to really work really hard on “No way! Is that… is that a show? … I thought they did that. Is that the one with the cats?”
|—||Cherami Leigh on what it was like to be cast as Sailor Venus in Viz’s new dub of Sailor Moon. (AVCon 2014)|
whenever i’m sad i like to imagine what possible crime Steve Irwin’s ancestor committed to warrant him being sent to Australia like some Victorian gentleman escorting a lady to the zoo past the crocodile enclosure and going “do you see that great wyrm sunning itself there? quite a striking creature, is it not? I do believe I shall engage it in fisticuffs.”
WHERE IS THE FUCKING CHILL
Pluto Tumblr Posts photoset
OHANA MEANS FAMILY
VIVA LA PLUTO FUCK YOU
This is totally a Pokemon reference. Dat hat.
World / In Universe As is:
- 4 Continents: Vale, Vacuo, Mantle, Mistral
- 4 Schools: Beacon - Vale, Mantle - Atlas, Mistral - Haven, Vacuo — They didn’t say straight out. Oasis? Shade? The gist was something used to hide from the sun.
- We will at the very least be seeing Vacuo later - possibly going there as part of the story
- They again mentioned Menagerie, but didn’t specify quite what it was
- Sun’s team is pronounced as “SUN” - assuming “SSSN” is correct order
- Human / Faunus can breed together "Maybe we’ve already seen them" - Monty
- Faunus are not limited to just mammalian kinds. "There’s definitely a rarity to things" - Kerry
- "Sometimes faunus traits aren’t super apparent"
- "Is dust a limited resource?" - Possibly to become a plot point. Possibly hinted at in RWBY History lesson. Dust is definitely mined.
- How does Ruby’s weapon attach to her? - Magnets
- The Old Dust Guy is always happy
- Are semblances hereditary? “I think they can be similar” - Monty. Hinted at the representation of a semblance being influenced by your upbringing, perhaps
- Moon will be important at some point
- There are other types of schools besides those for hunters/huntresses. Hinting of them appearing at end of volume 2, possibly as police / military training, Hunter academies “cream of the crop”
- hazleapricot's take on Blake: “Obsessed with getting done what she wants to get done.”
- "Cinder is older than most of the kids we see on Team RWBY and at Beacon" - Miles. Still likened her to being like a senior in age — probably early 20’s?
- "Does religion exist in the world of RWBY?" — Yes, but it may or may not be discussed, may or may not be different from our world’s
- "Do other animal species have an aura?" - Yes
- Juane labeling his shoes is a totally canon thing
Notes about the Production
- Neptune was originally slated to be on a different team. He was swapped out with a different “N” so that he could be used now.
- Monty was inspired to come up with team combos from watching The Hobbit
- Juane’s symbol appears to be deliberately hidden from showing what it really is. Or they were fucking with us - Gray at least said that at some point, he saw it unobstructed and was surprised.
- Continent shapes — Monty squirted ketchup onto a napkin and bunched it up. Everything looking like dragons is a coincidence
- There will be another history lesson (Possibly another Q&A?) after Chapters 7 and 10. Each of these will be a break after a particular arc or section.
- They mentioned something about the “Inspiration for Weiss’ agility”, but then didn’t really continue the topic
- Kerry recorded Neptune before he did any recording for Palomo in RvB12
- Arryn guesses that Blake uses her cat ears for actual listening.
- It seemed like they haven’t 100% finalized a name for Cinder’s group. “CREM” may still be the right ballpark
- From what they said, there may be further Juane/Neptune interaction in the future. or maybe Kerry and Miles were just talking about trading spots in the booth.
- Original plan was to have 2 Volumes to a season, with a shorter break between. At this point, for all intents and purposes a volume IS THE SAME as a season.
- On Neo - “There came a need for Torchwick to have a right hand woman.” - Monty
- Production for Volume 2 began December 5, 2013
- Principal Animation for Volume 2 began in March (at the very least, that’s when the last of the animators came on board)
- On easter eggs: Dude with glasses on White Fang mask (“Keep looking for that” — not sure of meaning), and a “Free bird” / “Freebirds” guy
- From Dustin — There is added boob jiggle this season because they are now using an actual / new physics engine. from RAW, the results or ludicrous. They are working on toning it down.
- Daniel — Loves working in the sound of bowling pins striking (Ch. 1)
DVDs / Merch / Misc.
- Gray says that 1v1, Torchwick would beat Locus. He would not win against Locus and Felix working together.
- RTX 2014 RWBY panel likely included on BluRay extra features. Possibly also 2013 one.
- A lot of RT merchandise is currently on hold because of dock worker strikes on the west coast. This is why the Yang figurine came so late.
- So far 4 planned DVD commentary tracks for volume 4 - Creative Team, Animation team, Technical team, Cast
- Several Animators talked about wanting a Penny plush. Gray spoke several times about setting up a poll for desired Merch
Animation / Technical Team Brief intros and Stuff they’ve worked on
- Austin Hardwick — Lot of Penny stuff, Ch. 3 chase scene
- Dustin - Boardgame (Ch. 2), jiggle effects
- Harly / Harley - Weiss in dorm room (Ch. 2), Ch. 3 Neptune on balcony, Club scene Ch. 4
- Joel - Newest animator, worked Ch. 5 on so we haven’t seen his work yet
- Bill - Ch 1,3,4, crowd scene (Ch. 1 establishing shots), an upcoming “Girly Weiss scene”
- Joe - Cafeteria scene, possibly the White Fang rally?
- Ian: Ch 3,7,9,11, sequence inside the Communication Tower
- Jeff - Technical director, lighting with Gray
- Paco - Missed his role, sorry. At the very least, works with Jeff
- Cesar - kaisergeiser, 3d Modeler, Ozpin’s office, Tucson’s shop, works with Tim, Reed, Dennis
- Daniel - Editor, Sound designer
- Maggie - Production coordinator
- Alex - Renderer, modeling, helps Paco. Made Blake’s ribbon in Vol. 1
- Of course Patrick Rodriguez, but he wasn’t on the stream